Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ultrasound and Bio Lesson

Ok, so I scanned in the ultrasound that we had on Wednesday below. If it doesn't look like a baby to you, that's good. It's SUPPOSED to look like a dinosaur...

We saw and heard the heartbeat- it was at 167, which is a really good number for this stage of development. It wasn't really moving around much, but it can't. The baby is actually on its head (the head is on the bottom, tail on the top). You can also see the yolk sac, which is important for sustaining the baby until the placenta takes over, at about 12 weeks. The baby was about 1.5 cm, or about the size of a raspberry.



Below is an image I took off of a website showing the Carnegie stages of embryonic development. Our baby was at stage 17 in the ultrasound. You can see the head at the top with eyes forming. Just right of the eye is the pharyngeal pouch (gills, of a sort). The big bulge in the middle is the heart and liver. You can see the arm bud with the beginnings of fingers, as well as the beginnings of a leg towards the bottom. The spine is forming (and is marked with arrows in the ultrasound), and you can see the protrusion of a little tail past the leg bud. You can also see the umbilical cord forming.

Obviously, we couldn't see all of what I have described on our ultrasound, but some things were easier to see because there was some movement. To all of my doctor friends, if I have made any mistakes, please correct me! You obviously know what you're looking at better than me. I teach this stuff to my kids, but not in that kind of detail. It's so awesome, I've got the coolest Biology project going on right inside of me! I am such a nerd!

No comments: