Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Show-Me State

We left BR on the night of July 5 and arrived in St. Louis the next morning, driving overnight. While this mode of travel worked great for Anna and Drew, it was really tough for us. Shaun did most of the driving, so when we arrived at Grandma and Grandpa's house, he slept and we went to the park and went swimming. On Thursday, and each successive day, Daddy biked on different parts of the Katy Trail. In total, he rode about 200 miles (I think). Here is the only picture he took on the trail.



One of the parks down the road from my parents' house has a carousel. This was Anna's favorite thing to do! She was especially excited that she was old enough to go on it by herself. I was too, since it made me incredibly dizzy!



This is a video that Shaun took with his iPhone.





The park also had a playground that the kids enjoyed.



On Thursday evening, Mike and Amy came over for dinner. Anna LOVES her aunt and uncle! Drew just kind of looked at them and poked out his bottom lip. They were going to babysit for us on Saturday night, so we were glad that the kids were able to spend some time getting accustomed to them before then.



Drew LOVES music! He had a wonderful time at my parents' house because there are so many instruments to play. It seems as if music is always blasting on the stereo and it's a lot of fun!






On Friday, my mom and I hosted a bridal luncheon for my friend, Julie. I was a bridesmaid in her wedding over the weekend. We have been friends since we were 12 and she was also one of my bridesmaids. As everyone arrived at noon, Anna and Drew showed off their (ahem) talents.



Shaun took Anna to the Gateway Arch while we ladies were having lunch. You'll just have to take my word for it that this is a picture of her standing in front of it.



The rehearsal dinner was on Friday evening, so Grandma and Grandpa babysat for us.
On Saturday morning, we had our hair done at a salon. Julie was so excited!




Briana brought St. Louis Bread Company (Panera) and coffee to the salon for everyone to enjoy. She is moving to New Orleans next week!!



Julie, with her hair done and hairpiece perfect!



We rode in a stretch hummer to the church to get dressed.



We had a good time on the ride over.



Getting organized at the church.



Getting Julie dressed.



Dressed and ready to go!



On the way to the park to take pictures after the ceremony. Congratulations, Julie and Robi! Unfortunately, I didn't take any more pictures. I was having too much fun! The reception was one of the most enjoyable that we've ever been to!




On Sunday, Margaret came over with her 6 month old daughter, Makenzie. Margaret and I have been friends since we were in 8th grade. She is one of the few people who read this blog regularly (thanks!), and is a hysterically funny person. She makes me laugh constantly. We went to a nearby water park with the kids and they had a great time! So did we!!



We took Anna to the St. Louis Science Center, one of my absolute favorite places to go. I never get tired of being there. I think I had more fun than Anna. Probably doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm a science teacher geek...




These pictures are from the Discovery Room, especially for 3-7 year olds.




Anna had fun playing with the dinosaurs. And talking smack to the unassuming teen volunteers.



Drew was sick for second half of our trip with high fever and diarrhea, so that's why there aren't many pictures of him. I took him to the doctor when we got home and found out he also had a double ear infection! Poor little guy!

On our last day, Margaret and I went out to lunch, then took this picture at her work. Her boss tried to convince us to take the picture in front of the business sign to advertise, but offered no quid pro quo. He also didn't seem to understand that a grand total of 5 people actually read this blog. Cause I'm popular like that.



In a last ditch attempt to tire the kids out, we went swimming before starting our journey back home. It worked- don't they look excited!?



Our drive home was easy and the kids slept right through it. We have finally all recovered, and hopefully, will never need to drive all night again. Thanks for a great visit, Grandma and Grandpa. See you next summer, St. Louis!

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

If you are ever in the Keystone State, I would love to join you guys at the Carnegie Science Center (Pittsburgh). I love that place!

Briana's Blog said...

Hey hey! Loved the pics, and I bookmarked your blog. Plan on being a regular reader! Let's get together soon. Stella and I are in Nola now!

Briana's Blog said...

And, I loved the pic in the River Bend pool. That pool is one of the best around =)